Gold CoinsWhether you’re buying coins as an investment or to denominate your wealth in physical form, gold coins are a great value. Our selection of gold coins ranges in weights from 1/20 ounce to 1-ounce gold coins and everything in between, making gold an attractive investment option for investors of all levels. We carry classic gold coins from the US Mint like the American Gold Buffalo and the American Gold Eagle coins, in all weights and sizes, as well as coins from international sovereign mints like the Gold Maple Leaf coins from the Royal Canadian Mint and the Krugerrands from the South African Mint.
June 25, 2020
June 25, 2020
June 25, 2020
As the oldest form of money, gold is a precious metal that has been prized by civilizations across the world for thousands of years. Gold coins are a staple in the gold bullion industry. They’re valued for both their gold bullion content as well as their design. Gold coins are very eye-appealing, and sovereign coins serve as legal tender in every nation in which they are produced.
Investors of all levels can buy gold coins, bars, and rounds. The intricate designs make coins a great way to own bullion and enjoy timeless artistry. And they’ll always be worth at least the price of gold, often more. With many gold coins, a new mintage is produced each year, and a few mints even change the design year-to-year.
GoldSilver offers a wide variety of the top-selling gold bullion coins perfect for investment. It’s important to start with the most popular coins for easy resale and to also diversify your purchases to get the most value out of your hard asset portfolio. Our most popular gold coins are:
- American Gold Eagles: Based on one of America’s most classic designs, the American Gold Eagle 1-ounce coin was first minted in 1986 and is considered the most popular and most recognizable gold coin in the world. This 22-karat (91.6% pure gold) coin is modeled after the Gold Double Eagle design first minted in 1907. American Gold Eagle coins are available in 1-ounce, ½ ounce, ¼ ounce, and 1/10 ounce versions. The newest iteration of these coins usually carry a slightly higher premium than older, common dated American Gold Eagle coins.
- American Gold Buffalos: Also known as the Gold Buffalo or the American Buffalo, this 24-karat bullion coin is a more recent addition and was first minted in 2006. It is the first .9999 pure 24-karat gold coin from the United States Mint and features an iconic design. American Gold Buffalo coins are only minted in 1-ounce form.
- Canadian Gold Maple Leafs: The Royal Canadian Mint provides a variety of gold coins for sale, starting with the flagship and widely recognized Gold Maple Leaf. Canadian Gold Maple Leafs coins are unique in that they are one of the few sovereign gold coins available in denominations of 1/20 ounce. They are also available in 1-ounce, ½ ounce, ¼ ounce, and 1/10 ounce versions. The Mint also produces a “Call of the Wild” series, with 2017 featuring the Canadian Gold Elk. You’ll find Canadian gold coins in a variety of weights, perfect for both new and seasoned investors. The Canadian Royal Mint’s Maplegrams can be broken off into individual grams and also make excellent gifts for loved ones.
- South African Krugerrands: Weighing just over 1 troy ounce, the South African Krugerrand includes an alloy that makes the coin 91.67% pure. It still contains one full ounce of gold. First minted in 1967, this gold bullion coin was one of the first sovereign gold coins in the modern era.
- Australian Coins: Struck by the Perth Mint, the Australian Kangaroo gold coin is available in 1/10 ounce, ¼ ounce, ½ ounce, and 1-ounce weights. The coin design changes each year, and the 2017 version features a kangaroo leaping across the outback. One of the benefits of the Australian Kangaroo gold coin is that it is acceptable to purchase in an IRA.
We also offer an appealing selection of silver coins for sale, as well.
Unlike many other online bullion dealers who market and sell thousands of items, GoldSilver carefully curates a catalog of bullion products that we believe represent the best opportunities for discerning investors.
We offer gold coins from the following government (sovereign) mints:
- Royal Canadian Mint
- Royal Australian Mint
- Perth Mint
- United States Mint
- Austrian Mint
- South African Mint
- UK Royal Mint
- New Zealand Mint
- People’s Republic of China
As well as the following private mints:
- Sunshine Mint
- Republic Metals Corporation (RMC)
- Valcambi Suisse
- PAMP Suisse
- Johnson Matthey
- Credit Suisse
Many U.S. investors choose to purchase gold coins in Individual Retirement Accounts (IRA), because of their tax-free or tax-deferred status. Using a simple “self-directed” IRA, you can contribute to your IRA by investing in true physical gold and silver and still enjoy these tax benefits.
When shopping for your IRA, simply look for products labeled “IRA Approved” on our product detail pages. These products are certified to meet the IRS’s simple but important criteria for precious metals investments allowed in an IRA.
Before you purchase, make sure you’ve notified your custodian to authorize GoldSilver.com as a trading partner. Once that’s done, just place your order and specify your IRA as your source of funds at checkout. We’ll take care of the rest, including working with your custodian to transfer funds and title to the gold.
Don’t already have a gold-ready IRA? See our list of preferred custodians or learn more about investing in physical silver using your IRA.
There is no safer way to store your precious metals than professional vault storage. Home storage risks your safety as well as your investments. Find peace of mind with 24/7 security at the world’s most secure, private, non-bank vaults. We’ve partnered with Brinks to offer secure storage vaults nearby and around the world, including:
- Salt Lake City, USA
- Toronto, Canada
- Hong Kong
Precious metals in storage can be sold with a few clicks, and funds are available to trade again quickly. Interested in secure, non-bank vault storage? Learn more about our allocated and segregated secure vault storage programs.
If you’re buying gold coins online, you can use your cryptocurrency to execute the transaction. Bitcoin, Ethereum, and LiteCoin offer a convenient way to make digital payments, among many other advantages over traditional currencies and payment systems.
We offer our investors the option of using these assets to purchase physical gold and silver via Bitcoin. If you have another coin, many exchanges like Coinbase or ShapeShift allow you to transfer into Bitcoin prior to making your purchase.
Looking to get out of cryptos and into a tangible asset? Learn more about purchasing gold with cryptocurrency.
Gold prices fluctuate daily just like stocks and currencies, since it trades around the world and around the clock. There are many factors that can affect the price of gold coins, including political events, the stock market, and other economic and monetary issues. Gold prices tend to perform strongest when economic or monetary conditions deteriorate.
We also offer a price match guarantee to match the advertised price of any of our products on the sites of our top competitors.
To learn more about how you can always get the best price from GoldSilver, read about our price match guarantee
GoldSilver will buy back most bullion products, whether you bought them from us or elsewhere, with competitive prices and an easy-to-use online sales portal -- by mail or from storage. If you decide to sell some of your precious metals holdings, you have a ready buyer on standby.
Read more about our sell-back policy, request a quote for your precious metals, or find out why our sell-back policy and storage program are a match made in heaven.
At GoldSilver, we pride ourselves on offering investors a world-class education, an investor-friendly product catalog, and a uniquely secure and flexible storage program.
Our educational videos have generated tens of millions of views on YouTube. Our founder, Mike Maloney, is the best-selling author of Guide to Investing in Gold & Silver, the most popular book ever on precious metals investing.
Our catalog is focused on physical precious metals products with the most competitive premiums, as we believe those products allow investors to get maximum exposure to gold & silver and increase potential profits by saving on costs.
And our unique storage program offers allocated and segregated storage options, at your choice of global vaults, with rapid liquidity.
Together, we believe these features offer an unmatched experience for precious metals investors.
But, don’t take our word for it. See what our investors are saying about us: read our testimonials.