IRA-eligible Gold ProductsOnly certain gold bullion is approved for purchase in a precious metals IRA (individual retirement account). These bars and coins are all IRA eligible because they either meet a purity requirement, are manufactured by an approved mint, or both. To learn the specific requirements for IRA physical bullion, read our buying guide.
Many U.S. investors choose to purchase precious metals in Individual Retirement Accounts (IRA), because of their tax-free or tax-deferred status. Using a simple “self-directed” IRA, you can invest in true physical gold and still enjoy these tax benefits.
What does IRA eligible mean? Only bars and coins that meet the IRS’s simple but important criteria for precious metals investments are allowed in an IRA. When shopping for your IRA, simply look for bullion labeled as “IRA Approved.” For your reference here is a list of all the bullion products accepted in IRAs:
IRA-eligible gold coins:
- American Gold Eagle coins
- American Gold Buffalo coins
- Australian Kangaroo/Nugget coins
- Austrian Gold Philharmonic coins
- British Gold Britannia coins (.9999+ purity)
- Canadian Gold Maple Leaf coins
- Chinese Gold Panda Coins
- Mexican Libertad coins (.999+ purity)
Note: gold coins that are “slabbed,” certified, graded numismatics, or “proof coins” are not allowed in a precious metals IRA.
IRA-eligible gold bars:
- All gold bars with a minimum purity of .995+
- And manufactured by an accredited by COMEX, LME, LBMA, LPPM, TOCOM, NYMEX, NYSE/Liffe/CBOT, and ISO-9000 or a sovereign mint (example: US Mint).
Don’t already have a metals-ready IRA? Learn more about investing in physical gold using your IRA.